Saturday, July 23, 2011

Saturday Baking Frenzy

Made three types of goodies today! Let's do reverse order for this post!~ Instead of my usual preliminaries-utensils- step by step pics-finished product, would be too lengthy a post.

JJ requested a snowman macaron and here is what I came up with!
Meet Mr Snowman!
Was easy to achieve one piece for this shape~ Pity I didn't have pretzel sticks for arms :(
Vanilla Macarons with Vanilla Bean Ganache
Macaron stack
As you may have noticed, I gave the italian meringue method a whirl this week. This is the more commercially viable method and the method recommended for macaron newbs because it is 'fail proof'. Compared to the french method, italian gives a smoother slightly glossy finish and with a whiter colour is better for coloring. On the downside, it's shell and texture is less delicate and too sugary for me personally. However, prettier for a gift especially to non-macaronites!~ Maybe I should read up on the swiss meringue method as well! Would be interesting to see and taste the difference :)

I wanted to compare Silpat to parchment paper...

Parchment on left vs Silpat
Underneath- Parchment on left vs Silpat
I've seen pictures online that show Silpats usually have a wetter foot but was not the case this time. I will try again when I use the french method to see if the difference is more pronounced.

Macaringues! Team JJ trialed a macaron- meringue hybrid 
Tastes like macarons but with meringue texture~ They strangely even developed feet :O
Finally made the Lemon Meringue Pie!
LMP!
Some shopping after work on Friday, technically not baking related but inspired by the KA stand mixer!

Got the blender~ (and Salter digital scales & candy thermometer that facilitated the macarons above!)
Home made ice cream coming right up!
And.....the freebie that made my day! Thanks Linda and Mr-Nice-Sorry-I-don't-know-your-name!
Got given this hush-hush loyal customer incentive!

Gotta love free stuff!
And that's all for this weekend! Need for foot massage from standing in the kitchen that long!

0 comments:

Post a Comment