Saturday, July 9, 2011

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

My ribbons arrived this morning! In theme with today's decorations. I love grosgrain ribbons with saddle stitch! At least...I think it's called saddle stitch.


Momma! There are little birdies on the paper!

Momma! Can we keep the packaging paper?

Chief Box Inspector reporting for duty!
Ribbons!!~ Doesn't everyone love ribbons?
I thought the packaging paper (actual proper wrapping paper) used to pad the inside of the box was a bit fancy smancy. Maybe it's their way of advertising their products :) Oh! While we are off topic, here's a pic of the cupcake inserts and macaron boxes that arrived late~


Macaron box to the right. 
While laying out all the equipment and ingredients on the bench, I was thinking about how my mum bakes without so much as a scale or measuring cup/spoon in sight :-\ She doesn't even own a spatula! HMMmmm....




So much stuff!
So I used this Chelsea Sugar Red Velvet Cupcake recipe as I love how it omits cocoa powder. I used self-rising flour and omitted the baking soda & salt. Substituted raspberry flavoring with Monin raspberry puree- 3 tablespoons, added 1/4 cup of flour to balance the added liquid. Used lemon juice instead of vinegar as I wasn't too worried about making the red colouring bright red. I didn't dare to swap the oil with butter as I read that you shouldn't change the consistency even thou they are both fats- one is a solid and one is a liquid. Using a cream cheese frosting so as to use minimal sugar.


Here's the goop! I refrained on the coloring.

Cut white fondant circles to go on top of the cream cheese frosting.
Got lazy trying to flush the edge of the white fondant with the cases...
Will use Wilton circular cases next time I want a fondant top! Probably made it harder having domed cupcakes! I shall have to research more  if I want to attempt it again :) *update* just looked at Bella Cupcakes and realised she cuts it larger than the cases and leaves it circular. So... there isn't actually a technique to flush fondant. If you like flush, you have to compromise and leave it as a frosted top!


Made the fondant ribbons last night before going out drinkies~
Gotta love inserts for driving purposes!
Boxed and fridged -ready for delivery!
So Team JJ had a taste test and found the cuppies really light and refreshing. Complete opposite of last week's sugar fest- the Magnolia Bakery vanilla cuppies. Next weekend's adventure will probably be Lemon Meringue Pie as J has been repeatedly requesting it! :) Gotta find a recipe for the pastry base- no more store bought short cuts in this kitchen! x

0 comments:

Post a Comment